AS 9100 Aerospace Quality Scheme
The benchmark quality management system for organisations working in the aerospace industry, the current version of AS 9100 was revised in 1999 from its original publication two years earlier. First produced by leading aerospace contractors such as Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin and GE Aircraft Engines, the later revision was created by the American Aerospace Quality Group and the Society of Automotive Engineers, with assistance from the Society of British Aerospace Companies and the International Aerospace Quality Group.
Dovetailing neatly together with all aspects of ISO 9001, the standard also has extra requirements regarding safety and quality considerations that are specific to the unique demands of the aerospace sector. AS 9100 is now so completely recognised globally, that the majority of market-leading aerospace manufacturers require this notable accreditation as a prerequisite for doing business with them.
AS 9100 Assessment Criteria
Together with the quality management framework of the ISO 9001, those companies seeking to achieve AS 9100 certification must also meet these aerospace industry-specific requirements:
- Configuration management
- Design phase, design verification, testing and validation
- Reliability, safety and maintainability
- Review of subcontractor performance
- Verification of purchased product and life-cycle documentation
- Control of production process changes, equipment, tools and machines
- Organization of work completed outside main facilities
- Special processes, inspection and testing procedures
- Methodology, recording and corrective action
- Expansion of the ISO 9001 audit requirements
- First article inspection processes
- Servicing and control of technical documentation
- Review of non-conforming products
AS 9100 Benefits
AS 9100 is in many cases an essential requirement for doing business within
the aerospace industry. Achieving AS 9100 certification will help your company
to attract more clients, streamline your operations and create a new level
of trust and good standing with existing customers, your staff and other stakeholders.
How HPA Can Help
From our initial audit of your existing systems and operations, through to a coherent planning and implementation stage, HPA can assist your business in preparing for successful third party assessment for the AS 9100 standard. We work with you at every step to ensure the accreditation is as straightforward and cost effective as possible.