TS16949 Automotive Quality Scheme FAQ
- 1. What is TS 16949?
- The benchmark quality management system for organizations working
in the automotive industry. ISO/TS 16949 is a global standard developed
and maintained by the International Automobile Task Force (IATF) whose members
include all of the major automotive manufacturers. The standard covers the
design, development, production, installation and servicing of automotive
- 2. What are the key requirements of ISO/TS 16949?
- ISO/TS 16949 is based on ISO 9001. However it also includes around
130 additional requirements specific to the automotive industry.
The focus of the standard is described in its introduction as follows:
“The goal of this Technical Specification is the development of a
quality management system that provides for continual improvement, emphasizing
defect prevention and the reduction of variation and waste in the supply
chain. This Technical Specification, coupled with applicable customer-specific
requirements, defines the fundamental quality management system requirements
for those subscribing to this document.”
- 3. What are the benefits of TS 16949 certification?
- Certification is an essential requirement for many suppliers
to the automotive industry. Without certification, many contract opportunities
in the automotive industry will simply not be available
The framework itself can also:
- Make your business more efficient
- Improve risk management
- Increase customer satisfaction
- Improve your standing in the marketplace.
- 4. How can HPA help?
- Through every stage of the process, HPA
can help your business to prepare for third party assessment for
the TS 16949
standard. We partner with you at every step to make sure the whole
experience is as simple and cost effective as it can be.
- 5. What does this cost?
- The straightforward answer is that TS 16949 certification does
not cost that much compared to the benefits of becoming registered. Government
grants of up to half the fees may be available. Our own in-house payment
plan options can also help to spread the cost.